Gaming Headsets 2020: ALL you need to know
Picking our gaming headsets is no easy task. It’s certainly not the same as picking your MP3 or smartphone earpods. We often use headsets along these products for most of our tasks, either in a computer or walking out the street. But, you will learn EVERYTHING you need to know before getting those kick ass headsets you really want.
But, if you don’t feel like reading a whole tutorial and want to jump to the fun part and buy gaming headsets right way, click here.
Gaming Headsets: Wireless or Wired?
Taking this into consideration is EXTREMELY important when buying gaming headphones since there are two big but different groups that work either wired or wireless
Wired Gaming Headsets
On one side, we have the wired gaming headphones. These headsets, as normal, have a wire that is in charge of transmitting the sound signal to the transducers. Most of these headsets have a 3,5 mm Jack, which is the by far, the best because we use its native capacity of our sound card and its digital-analog converter.
Now that we have talked about Jack connector wired headsets, let’s talk about USB ones. USB gaming headphones will be the worst enemy of bad headphones. As stated before, we NEED! to convert the signal from digital to analog for the sound to get to the earcups. Using the USB interface, we are deleting the capability of our sound card because it won’t be connected to it, but to the USB port directly and it will be USB handling the digital-analog conversion, which will never beat our sound card’s.
Wireless Gaming headsets
Now, wireless gaming headsets don’t need a wire to play the sound in our device (obviously). The most used technology for these is radiofrequency, usually working at a 2,4 GHz frequency. The wireless headsets receiver will be connected to a USB port and will be in charge of transmitting or receiving the headsets sound. These usually have 10 to 15 meters of reach (32 to 49 feet).
Top Gaming Headsets in the Market for 2020
HyperX Cloud Orbit S
HyperX Cloud Orbit S: Specifications + Pros and Cons:
- Audeze planar magnetic drivers
- Waves Nx fully immersive 3D. Sound pressure level – >120 dB
- Waves Nx head tracking technology
- Advanced audio customization
- Detachable noise cancellation mic with pop filter
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Three detachable cable options
- Onboard audio and mic controls
- Multi-device compatibility
Incredible sound quality
Amazing fit for gamers
Great for First Person Shooters
Waves Nx Tech
PC and console compatible
SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless
SteelSeries Artic Pro Wireless: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- Dual Wireless technology provides rock solid, 2.4 grams wireless lossless audio for gaming, combined with Bluetooth connectivity for mobile devices
- Premium Hi Res speakers with high density neodymium magnets reproduce a full, expansive frequency range from 10 to 40,000 hertz with stunning realism and clarity
- Luxurious lightweight steel and aluminum alloy construction offers maximum durability and a consistent fit. Headphone sensitivity:102 dB SPL
- 2 included swappable batteries allow you to charge a battery in the base station, while using the other for more than 20 hours of gaming
- Widely recognized as the best mic in gaming, the clear cast microphone delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation; Refer to the PDF attached below in technical specification for user guide
- Connectivity technology: Wireless, Bluetooth. Microphone frequency response-100–10,000 Hz. Microphone polar pattern-bidirectional noise-canceling
- Included components: Arctis Pro Wireless Headset; Transmitter Base Station; Usb Audio Cable; Toslink Optical Cable; Mobile Audio Cable; Mobile Charging Cable; Microphone Windscreen
- SteelSeries cannot guarantee the quality or authenticity of products sold by non-authorized resellers on Amazon, and they are not eligible for warranty. Authorized retailers: Amazon.com, Adorama Inc, Encore Technology, Spacebound
No Xbox compatibility
Poor Noise reduction
ASTRO A50: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- Astro Audio V2: Immersive Audio and sound experience that delivers dialogue, music and in game sound clearly
- Dolby Audio: Dolby Audio delivers a cinematic, high resolution gaming audio experience
- Battery life: 15+ hour rechargeable lithium ion battery
- Game: Voice balance: Gives the user total control over the mix of the game and chat Audio
- Astro command center software: The free Astro command center software gives players complete control over their audio experience, which includes voice communication and game Audio settings; Available on windows 10, Xbox 1 and Mac.
- USB sound card functionality: When using PC, USB sound card functionality provides game: Voice balance, game and voice streaming; No optical cables needed
- Mod Kit ready: For even more customization, the optional A50 Mod Kit allows users to add synthetic leather headband and ear cushions for improved noise isolation; Only compatible with A50 wireless Headset Gen 4
5Ghz Wireless Connection
15 hours battery
Sort of heavy (363 grams)
PC/MAC, PlayStation and Xbox compatibility
Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition
Creative Sound Blaster H7 TE: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- UPGRADED 50mm DRIVERS FOR BETTER GAMEPLAY – Immersive and crystal-clear surround sound. Audio is rich and alive, so you feel like you’re right in the action of your game.
- IMPROVED MIC QUALITY – Redesigned and improved detachable mic enhances vocal pickup and noise cancellation in loud gaming environments.
- DURABLE ARCHITECTURE WITH NEW SLEEK LOOK – New brushed metal earcup plates and gun metal finishing with Sound Blaster’s signature red cable and bold red fabric earcup lining. Steel and aluminium architecture provides solid build quality.
- AWARD-WINNING SOUND SIGNATURES – Same dynamic sound signature with punchy highs, mids and lows for balanced and natural sound with enhanced clarity and precision on analog. Connect the H7 Tournament Edition via USB to customize and save sound signatures right into the headset, so that it will reproduce your sound configuration without any need to install software when you’re connected to different gaming setups.
- X-PLUS MODE – X-Plus mode accentuates game cues that matter in a competitive game while playing down distractions, by changing the sound signature to audio profiles specially tuned for different eSports titles.
Mid range less prominent
Audio Profile (Ideal for gaming)
Highs a little hyped
Clear and accurate representation of audio source
PC/MAC, PlayStation and Xbox compatibility
Wide sound separation
HyperX Cloud Flight
HyperX Cloud Flight: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- Gaming grade 2.4GHz wireless connection, with up to 30 hours of battery life
- Signature HyperX comfort and immersive in game audio
- Durable, adjustable steel slider
- PC, PS4, and PS4 Pro ready
- 90° rotating ear cups with LED lighting effects
- Intuitive on board audio and mic controls
- Detachable noise cancellation microphone – microphone engineered to function only when in wireless mode and only on PC and PS4
Poor sound isolation
Bass delivery varies significantly across users. Sensitive to glasses.
Slightly leaky at high volumes.
PC/MAC, PlayStation and Smartphone compatibility
Long lasting battery
PlayStation Platinum Wireless
PlayStation Platinum: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound: Experience rich, highly positional virtual surround sound powered by revolutionary 3D audio technology
- 3D Audio: In select PS4 games that fully support 3D audio, hear and feel an amazingly rich audio experience with surround sound emanating from all directions, including above and below you
- Multi-device Compatibility: Connect wirelessly to your PS4 and personal computer. Connect to a PlayStation VR headset or mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable
- Exclusive Audio Modes: Download the companion app from PlayStation Store to tune your headset with audio modes created by developers to bring out every subtle nuance in their game
Excellent sound quality
Wireless works only with PlayStation
Solid virtual surround effect
Compatibility: Playstation, PC/MAC
Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2
Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- Pro Gaming Mic with Truspeak Technology : Ensure your voice is always heard loud and clear with Turtle Beach’s professional quality, noise cancelling mic
- Large 50 millimeter Nano clear Speakers : Large, powerful 50 millimeter over ear Nano clear speakers deliver Turtle Beach’s signature sports audio tuning
- Aero fit Ear Cushions : Revolutionary material technologies combine to keep your ears comfortable and cool while also blocking out external noise and improving bass response
- Prospecs Glasses Relief System : Turtle Beach’s unique prospects comfort driven design removes pressure on your glasses while you play
- Durable Comfort : A sleek metal headband with a suspended pad and swappable memory foam ear cushions ensure unmatched comfort; Microphone: Unidirectional gaming microphone
Outstanding sound quality
Few controls on SuperAmp
Bluetooth Audio with SuperAmp
One of the most comfortable headphones
PC, PlayStation and Xbox compatibility
HyperX Cloud Alpha (EDITORS CHOICE)
HyperX Cloud Alpha: Specifications + Pros and Cons
- HyperX Dual Chamber Drivers for more distinction and less distortion
- Signature Award Winning HyperX comfort; Impedance: 65 ohms
- Durable aluminum frame with expanded headband; Sound pressure level : 98dBSPL/mW at 1kHz
- Detachable braided cable with convenient in line audio control. Sensitivity 43dBV (0dB=1V/Pa,1kHz)
- HyperX custom tuned virtual 7.1 surround sound
- Convenient Audio control box: 2M/6.5 feet cable length
- Enhanced Microphone noise cancellation
- Plug n play Audio upgrade for Stereo headsets
Elegant and atractive design
No 7.1 Surround
Incredible sound quality
100% comfort assured